Taking place once each year, the World Series is a prestigious baseball event. It is a championship series of Major League Baseball (MLB) in the U.S. and Canada. The tournament is played during the fall season, so it is often referred to as the Fall Classic.

It is recognized that the first official World Series was played in 1903 when the event has held between the champion teams of the American League (AL) and the National League (NL). The team that comes top from a seven playoff game becomes the World Series champion, taking home the Commissioner’s Trophy. Baseball World Series games were played even before 1903. However, the MLB do not officially recognized baseball competitions of the 19th century since it considers 19th century to be the preceding developmental period to modern baseball.

The first baseball World Series was held in 1884 under the name “The Championship of the United States”. In 1891, that the American Association collapsed resulted in a suspension of the series.

The following year saw the adoption of the split season practice. The National League played a split season with the first-half winner playing the second-half winner for the league championship. But this new methodology of play didn’t sit well with baseball fans and came to a stop in 1893.

In 1894, a championship trophy between the first placed team and the second positioned team in the National League with the winning side pocketing 65% of ticket sales and the remaining 35% belonging to the losing side was proposed by Pittsburgh’s owner William C. Temple. The disrupted “The Championship of the United States” was replaced by this new system of play, which later became the seed for the famous baseball’s post-season games.

In 1901, the American League came back. Fierce competition and rivalry ensued with the National League following the AL establishments. After two years of competition for fans loyalty, both leagues reached a compromise termed the “National Agreement”, which produced the business foundation for the modern baseball game.

And the World Series was back in play once again with the first official “World Series” in 1903 with a game held on Huntington Avenue Grounds between Boston Americans (the Red Sox) of the American League and Pittsburgh Pirates of the National League.

Since then, the World Series became an annual tournament between the pennant winner of the AL and NL. It has been played 115 times up to now. American League won 66 and the National League 49.

The History of World Series